2 Day Hiking Olympus- Semi Guided
About The Place
Mount Olympus, the mythical throne of the ancient Greek gods and an emblem of natural grandeur, rises majestically in northern Greece, captivating all who behold its splendor. Revered as the tallest mountain in the country, its towering peaks reach heights of up to 2,918 meters, creating an imposing presence that has inspired awe and reverence for centuries.
Cradled within the Olympus National Park, the mountain is a realm of ecological diversity and breathtaking landscapes. Its slopes are adorned with verdant forests, alpine meadows, and cascading waterfalls that form a harmonious tapestry of nature’s beauty. The path to the summit is a journey through time and terrain, leading adventurers through ancient trails and revealing panoramic vistas that stretch from the Aegean Sea to the surrounding landscapes.
Mount Olympus is not just a geological wonder; it’s a tapestry of myth and history that has woven its way into the fabric of Greek culture. According to ancient Greek mythology, this awe-inspiring peak was the dwelling place of the gods, where Zeus, Hera, and their divine kin held their council and observed the affairs of mortals below. This blend of myth and reality lends an air of mystique to the mountain’s grandeur, as visitors explore ancient sites and artifacts that add depth to its narrative.
Hiking to the summit is an adventure of both the body and the spirit. The path takes you through diverse ecosystems, revealing hidden springs, alpine flowers, and tranquil plateaus that create moments of both exertion and wonder. Reaching the highest peak, Mytikas, is a triumph that offers a sweeping view that spans continents and transcends time.
Mount Olympus is a haven for those who seek to connect with nature’s grandeur and the echoes of ancient myths. It’s a place where the boundaries between the physical and the metaphysical blur, inviting you to climb its heights, explore its secrets, and stand amidst the realm where the gods once reigned. Whether you’re captivated by its natural beauty or inspired by its mythical significance, Mount Olympus leaves an indelible mark on all who venture to its lofty summits.
2 Days Hiking Olympus – Semi Guided, takes you to Mt. Olympus, the highest mountain in Greece
Depending on the route you will choose, you’ll either stay at Spilios Agapitos or Giosos Apostolidis mountain hut.
On the second day, a professional mountain guide will accompany you in order to ensure that you will safely enjoy reaching Olympus’ peak.
- 2 days
Embark on a remarkable journey to the majestic Mt. Olympus, Greece’s highest mountain, with our 2 Day Hike Olympus – Semi Guided tour. This legendary peak, revered as the sacred abode of the ancient Greek gods and handpicked by Zeus himself, stands as a testament to divine beauty.
Situated on the natural border between Thessaly and Macedonia, Mt. Olympus casts its watchful gaze over the Aegean Sea. Nestled within its eastern flanks lies Greece’s first national park, established in the 1930s. Within this sanctuary, you’ll find a network of hiking paths and cozy mountain refuges, ready to welcome mountaineers from around the world. Depending on your chosen route, you’ll have the opportunity to stay at either the Spilios Agapitos or Giosos Apostolidis mountain hut.
Mt. Olympus unveils a captivating natural landscape, where dense forests intertwine with rugged rocky peaks, often cloaked in mystical fog and clouds. Over 1,500 plant species, including rare and endemic varieties, find sanctuary here, alongside elusive creatures such as wolves, jackals, deer, and endangered bird and butterfly species.
Our 2 Days Hike Olympus – Semi Guided tour offers experienced hikers the freedom and independence they seek. On the first day, you’ll have the chance to explore at your own pace. Then, on the second day, a professional mountain guide will join you to ensure a safe and fulfilling ascent to the peak of Olympus. If you’re new to hiking or prefer a fully guided experience, we recommend our 2 Days Hiking Olympus – Fully Guided tour.
Choose between two route options, tailored to your experience and fitness level. To ensure the best experience, we encourage you to contact us in advance to discuss the available options.
Please note that the tour begins and concludes in the picturesque village of Litochoro, nestled in the foothills of Mt. Olympus.
For international travelers, the closest airport is located in Thessaloniki, Greece’s second largest city, with Litochoro just a 1.5-hour drive away (91.5 km/56 miles). If arriving from Athens, a journey of approximately 5-6 hours (415 km/257 miles), we recommend arriving a day in advance and spending the night in Litochoro. Should you require assistance with hotel bookings or any other services, we are delighted to provide our support.
What to Bring
Please try to travel as light as possible; keep in mind that you must carry everything you bring during the whole hike.
Large, comfortable backpack (65-85 liters) with padded straps and waist belt, internal frame preferred; waterproof liner recommended keeping clothing, etc dry inside
Sturdy, worn in trekking shoes (preferably boots)
Good waterproof top with hood
Warm clothes, both for windy / cold daytime conditions and for the cool evenings (fleece tops οr similar)
Shorts and long trousers for walking, preferably quick-drying material (cotton or poly-cotton not denim)
Sweatshirts or T-shirts for walking, at least one with long sleeves and collar (against sun-burn)
Sleeping bag or similar (e.g. duvet cover), for the overnight in the shelter
Sunglasses, towel, sun hat or cap, sun block.
Wash bag and simple first aid kit (plasters or blister kit, aspirin or similar, antiseptic)
Torch (head torch if you have one)
Your own personal water bottle
English speaking mountain guide for the second day only for the ascent of Mt Olympus
Accommodation in berths on mountain refuse (or camping tents) in Musses Plateau
Self Guided Hiking Kit: Briefing, gpx files, map and emergency telephone support
Safety Equipment for the ascend to Mytikas (helmet, harness)
Special “passport – info guide” for Litochoro village, including discount in selected shops
- Ages 14 year old and above (children accompanied by their parents)
- Good physical & mental condition
- Absence of height phobia - acrophobia
- Please note. A good level of fitness and experience is required to climb Mytikas peak and the guide reserves the right to make the final decision if we climb.
- DAY1 10.00 Arrive in Litochoro and meet with our Base Manager, who will give you your voucher and equipment for Mytikas ascent (helmet, harness). Then drive with your own car to Prionia or Gortsia (optional transfer at extra cost is available), from where you begin your hike to either Spilios Agapitos Mt Hut or Musses Plateau.
- Option A, Prionia (1.100m) to Spilios Agapitos Mt refuge (2.100m) Estimated Walking Time: approx. 3 – 4 hours, Distance: 6 klm, Altitude difference: 1.000m Prionia is the highest point which can be reached by car. The route from Prionia to Spilios Agapitos mountain refuge is the most frequented hiking path on Mount Olympus and a part of the E4 trail. Most of the hike is through a thick forest of pine, beech & fir trees and the path is in good condition. We make our way up to an altitude of 2.100 metres and reach the mountain refuge Spilios Agapitos where you will spend the night.
- Option B, Gortsia (1.100m) - Musses Plateau (2.700m) Estimated Walking Time: approx. 5-7 hours, Distance 12 klm, Altitude difference 1.500m If you chose Gortsia as your starting point, about halfway up you'll find Petrostrouga (1.940 m) mountain refuge. Here you can take a break to rest and relax, before continuing up the trail to reach the scenic Musses Plateau and Giosos Apostolidis mountain refuge for your overnight stay.
- DAY 2 Option A, Spilios Agapitos Mt refuge (2.100m) - Mytikas (2.918m) 05.30am Early rise, breakfast and preparations for the ascend. If you don't have time for breakfast, it is advisable to bring a snack from the previous night. 06.30am Your guide will meet you at Spilios Agapitos refuge. With the beautiful sunrise to accompany us, we'll follow the European E4 trail towards Mesorachi until we reach Skala, where we put on our climbing gear and prepare to climb Mytikas (5-6 hours).
- Option B, Musses Plateau (2.700m) - Mytikas (2.918m). Up for an early start, to enjoy the unique view of Stefani (Zeus’ Throne), while having breakfast. After preparations for the ascend, your guide will lead you from Musses Plateau in a southerly direction, towards Zonaria and Louki from where we'll approach Mytikas. We'll put on our climbing gear and make our way to the top. After enjoying the stunning view, we'll go back to Musses Plateau (it takes about 2-3 hours). Return to Prionia or Gortsia, where your car or transfer will be waiting for you.
Cancellation Policy - Flexible
- Whenever you cancel 4 days or earlier than the confirmed activity starting date, your fee will be refunded for the entire activity charge.
- In case of cancellation within 48 and 96 hours before the scheduled activity starting date, you'll get 50% reimbursed.
- Those who cancel 48 hours or beyond are considered last-minute cancellations. There will be no refunds