Canyoning Saint Loukas Gorge in Xylokastro
About The Place
Helmos Mountain, located in the southern region of the Peloponnese in Greece, is a captivating natural wonder that offers a wealth of experiences for visitors. Rising to an elevation of 2,355 meters (7,726 feet), Helmos is known for its diverse climate, rich culture, breathtaking landscapes, charming villages, and a history that dates back millennia.
Climate: The climate on Helmos Mountain varies with elevation, making it an all-season destination. At lower altitudes, the Mediterranean climate prevails, with mild winters and warm, dry summers. As you ascend, the climate becomes progressively cooler, and at the mountain’s peak, it’s possible to experience snow and frost even during the summer months. This diverse climate makes Helmos Mountain an ideal location for both winter and summer activities.
Culture: The region surrounding Helmos Mountain is deeply rooted in Greek culture. The nearby town of Kalavryta, for instance, is a testament to this rich heritage. Traditional Greek festivals, music, and dance are celebrated with enthusiasm, providing visitors with a taste of the local culture. The people of this region are known for their warmth and hospitality, making travelers feel welcome and at home.
Landscape: Helmos Mountain’s landscape is a study in diversity. Dense forests of pine and fir trees cloak its lower slopes, while higher altitudes reveal rugged, rocky terrain, pristine alpine meadows, and enchanting waterfalls. The mountain offers a stunning contrast of greenery in the summer and a winter wonderland when covered in snow. The awe-inspiring Vouraikos Gorge, which runs along its southern slopes, is a geological masterpiece, while Lake Tsivlou, a glacial lake nestled in the mountain’s foothills, is a tranquil spot for relaxation.
Villages: The region is dotted with picturesque villages that exude old-world charm. Kalavryta is a must-visit, known for its cobblestone streets, traditional architecture, and the historic Agia Lavra Monastery. Nearby Zachlorou is the starting point for the famous Odontotos Rack Railway, a scenic ride that offers stunning views of the gorge and surrounding mountains. These villages provide a glimpse into the local way of life and offer an opportunity to savor traditional Greek cuisine in quaint tavernas.
History: Helmos Mountain has a deep historical significance. It was in the Agia Lavra Monastery that the Greek War of Independence against the Ottoman Empire was declared in 1821, a pivotal moment in Greek history. The area is also scattered with ancient ruins, testaments to the rich history of the Peloponnese region. Exploring these historical sites and learning about their significance is a compelling part of the Helmos Mountain experience.
In conclusion, Helmos Mountain in the Peloponnese, Greece, is a captivating destination that offers a harmonious blend of diverse climate, rich culture, stunning landscapes, charming villages, and a deep historical legacy. Whether you’re seeking adventure, relaxation, or a cultural immersion, Helmos Mountain has something to offer every traveler, making it a remarkable gem in the heart of Greece.
- 4 hours
Difficulty Level : Easy
Period Of Operation : Mar – May, Sep – Nov
It is a natural paradise in the area of Xylokastro. There is plenty of water all year round and it is surrounded by rich flora and fauna. The canyon is relatively easy to descend and is recommended for beginners who would like to try this unique experience.
- Start & finish: St Loukas
- Recommended seasons: spring/autumn
- Activity duration: 3-4 hrs
- Descend number: 4
- Max descend: 9m
- Natural slides: 2
- Hiking: 45’
- Suggested departure time from Paralio Astros: 7:00
- Meeting point: Ipsilantis Square, Paralio Astros
- Meeting time: 6:45
- Adults: aged from 18-60
*The activity may be canceled or modified in case of bad weather conditions. In this case, you can book a new date or receive a full refund of the amount of money you have paid.
- Many activities are based on the weather, so it is recommended that you contact the company before the activity.
- It is a good idea to be at the meeting point 30 minutes before the scheduled start time.
- After your reservation it is enough to give your details to the cooperating company so that you can carry out your activity. However, it is recommended that you have the booking confirmed in digital or printed form.
- Read the benefits of the activity carefully to avoid possible extra charges from additional optional services.
- Read the cancellation policy carefully before booking.
What to Bring
Bottle of Water
Non-slip shoes for walking in the water
Extra pair of shoes, socks, T-shirt
Certified experienced instructors
Necessary equipment (belt, helmet, rucksack)
- Minimum 18 years
- Spoken Languages English, Greek
- Starting Time 10:00
- Ending Time 15:00- 16:00
- Meeting time at Ipsilanti Square, Paralio Astros: 6:45
Cancellation Policy - Flexible
- Whenever you cancel 4 days or earlier than the confirmed activity starting date, your fee will be refunded for the entire activity charge.
- In case of cancellation within 48 and 96 hours before the scheduled activity starting date, you'll get 50% reimbursed.
- Those who cancel 48 hours or beyond are considered last-minute cancellations. There will be no refunds